American Football player Kaepernick refuses to stand for anthem

A US National Football League (NFL) quarterback has refused to stand for the national anthem in protest at what he sees as racial injustice.

Colin Kaepernick, who plays with the San Francisco 49ers, remained seated as the anthem was played.

“I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of colour,” he explained.

Some fans booed the player when he took to the field.

But his team said they supported his right to protest, which took place as the 49ers hosted the Green Bay Packers in a pre-season game on Friday.

“We recognise the right of an individual to choose and participate, or not, in our celebration of the national anthem,” the team said.

An NFL spokesman said players were “encouraged but not required” to stand during the anthem.

Colin Kaepernick is 28 years old, biracial, adopted and raised by white parents in Wisconsin

He joined the San Francisco 49ers in 2011. He was a Former starter who led the team to the NFL’s title game, the Super Bowl, in 2013, which they lost to the Baltimore Ravens. Since demoted to back-up. His signature touchdown celebration known as kaepernicking, involving the flexing and kissing of his right bicep

He set an NFL record for the most rushing yards by a quarterback (181) in the 2012 season play-offs

Kaepernick has been outspoken on social media about race relations and is a supporter of the Black Lives Matter movement.

“To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way,” Kaepernick told NFL Media.

“There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder.”

He appeared to be referring to police use of deadly force which sparked the Black Lives Matter protests.

Twitter reactions are below… Personally, am just on the look out for what Mr Trump might have to tweet about this.

9876543210

 

Credit : BBC

 

 

ZIMBABWE WOMEN IN POT-BEATING PROTEST AGAINST MUGABE

Hundreds of women in Zimbabwe on Saturday demonstrated against President Robert Mugabe’s government by beating pots, symbolizing a nation facing starvation and economic hardships.

The march organised by the main opposition party Movement for Democratic Change (MDC), dubbed the #BeatThePot campaign, took place in Zimbabwe’s second largest city of Bulawayo.

“These pots that we are beating are no longer cooking anything at home this is why we brought them to say we no longer have anything to cook. We are starving,” Thokozani Khupe, MDC vice president said while addressing women who took part in the march.

“What we are saying here is we are putting more fire on a pot that is already boiling.We want that pot to boil until Mugabe goes.”

“That is why we are saying please Mugabe you have failed, please go so that our lives can go own well,”she said.

The women who were clad in red party colours held up placards denouncing Mugabe.

They marched in the central business district of Bulawayo singing and beating pots with wooden and steel cooking utensils.

“Mugabe must go,” they chanted whilst giving the MDC’s open palm symbol amidst a heavy anti-riot police presence.

The demonstration follows a series of protests across the country over Zimbabwe’s worsening economic crisis.

Evan Mawarire, a church pastor who started the popular ThisFlag internet protest campaign in April, organised a one-day nationwide strike last week that closed offices, shops, schools and some government departments.

He has called for more strikes after he was freed by the courts after being accused of plotting to overthrow Mugabe’s government.

Khupe appealed to the international community to intervene in Zimbabwe’s economic and political crisis.

“Robert Mugabe and (ruling party) Zanu PF must step aside and allow a government that will be ushered in through free, fair credible elections,”said Khupe, who had a baby strapped on her back.

“We are going to repeat more of these until Mugabe leaves office, until the people of Zimbabwe are free. Enough is enough.”

Zimbabwe is facing cash shortages and high unemployment while the government has been struggling to pay its workers.

 

Credit: Today.NG

PHOTOS FROM THE CATHOLIC PRIESTS PROTEST HELD IN ENUGU YESTERDAY

The Holy Ghost Cathedral in Ogbete area of Enugu came to life on Saturday 2nd July 2016 as members of the catholic congregation, joined by other surrounding parishes brandished all sorts of placards with several inscriptions condemning the spate of attacks by Fulani herdsmen in the state.

The peaceful protest, tagged ”Inter-Diocesan Prayer Procession Organised For Greater Security In Enugu State” was joined by church congregations, reverend sisters, priests and other clerics across Nsukka, Awgu and Enugu dioceses today. The continued kidnappings, rapes, killings and destruction of properties in Enugu State by Fulani herdsmen during recent months was highlighted by the protesting Catholic faithfuls.

However, the rallying crowd was prevented by security operatives from moving beyond the Cathedral premises reportedly on the orders of Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi. Addressing the protesters at the venue, the Governor sued for peace in the state. He said:

“On the issues you have raised in this rally, I wish to state that I address you today not only as a Catholic but as your Governor and the Chief Security Officer of Enugu State. “While taking my oath of office, I swore to do everything within my powers to preserve the security of lives and property of the people of Enugu State. “You can therefore be assured that I will not fail in this responsibility and be further assured that whatever message you convey through me to the appropriate authorities at Abuja, will be promptly delivered.

“Regarding the proposed grazing bill, I assure you that I will duly convey your decisions on the matter to the State’s representatives at the National Assembly.”
See more photos from the protest below.

priestpriest1priest2Priestspriests1priests3priests4priests33

APC SLAMS EKITI LAWMAKERS FOR PROTESTING OVER GOVERNOR’S BLOCKED ACCOUNT

The All Progressives Congress (APC) in Ekiti state has slammed members of the Ekiti House of Assembly for protesting on the streets.

The lawmakers held a protest to show solidarity for the Ekiti Governor, Ayo Fayose, and also condemn the blocking of his bank account.

Fayose’s bank account was blocked by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) on Monday, June 20, 2016.

A statement signed by the Ekiti APC Publicity Secretary, Taiwo Olatubosun said:

“We are not surprised about the shameless theatrics of the rubber stamp Ekiti State House of Assembly members because they are behaving true to type as we predicted during their inauguration that nothing good would come out of this assembly because of the character and quality of individuals.

“It is a disservice to representative government that a group of lawmakers, who are expected to be loyal to their constituents, have jettisoned that cardinal principle of democracy and replaced it with loyalty to an individual whose greed is inflicting untold sufferings on the people of the state.

“We challenge the lawmakers, who have shamelessly constituted themselves to a nuisance by shifting their plenary to the streets of Ado-Ekiti in protest against the Federal Government, to go to the EFCC office in Abuja to prove their innocence.”

The EFCC also alleged that Fayose’s account was used to siphon funds meant for the purchase of arms.

Credit: Pulse.NG

EKITI LAWMAKERS HOLD SESSION ON THE HIGHWAY

As part of the efforts to drum support for Governor Ayodele Fayose over the freezing of his accounts by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) , members of the state House of Assembly on Wednesday staged a protest by holding its plenary on the
highway to express their disenchantment with the action of the anti-graft agency.

They lambasted the EFCC for flouting section 308 of the constitution which conferred absolute immunity on Fayose. They then called for the immediate unfreezing of the accounts in the interest of justice.

The EFCC had on June 21 frozen Fayose’s two accounts, numbers 1003126654 and 9013074033 domiciled in Ado Ekiti branch of Zenith Bank, alleging that N1.2 billion of the $2.1 billion arms fund from the office of the former National Security Adviser, Col. Dasuki Sambo (rtd.) was traced to the accounts.

The governor was at the Federal High Court sitting in Ado Ekiti, seeking for a mandatory order compelling the anti-graft agency to unfreeze the accounts, at the time of filing this report.

The lawmakers, who sat under a canopy on the dual carriage way in Ado Ekiti, were armed with several placards with different inscriptions such as “we are ready for arrest”, “Harassing Ekiti lawmakers/government won’t give you 2018,” “No matter your media trial and blackmail, on Fayose we stand” and “Leave Fayose alone” among others.

 

Credit: ThisDAY

WESTBORO BAPTIST CHURCH PLANS PROTEST AT ORLANDO SHOOTING SITE

Westboro Baptist Church wants to come to Orlando and protest at the scene of last weekend’s mass shooting. The church believes its their duty to preaching against all form of sin, in this case, including Sodomy.

Although, the Orlando police believe that the church was not coming but they do come, they would be welcomed happily. The protest is planned for this morning and it is believed that the church has already obtained a permit for the protest.