US Skydiver Jumps Without Parachute Into Net From 25,000ft

American Luke Aikins has become the first person to jump from 25,000 ft (7,620m) without a parachute, landing safely in a net.

Mr Aikins – who has more than 18,000 jumps under his belt – fell dead centre into the 100x100ft net in Simi Valley, southern California.

During the two-minute fall aired live on Fox television, the 42-year-old reached the speed of 120mph (193km/h).

To loud cheers, he climbed out of the net and hugged his wife and young son.

“I’m almost levitating, it’s incredible,” he said after Saturday’s jump.

“This thing just happened! I can’t even get the words out of my mouth,” he said, admitting that he was nervous beforehand.

He also admitted that he had nearly had to cancel the jump because he was ordered to wear a parachute for safety and this would have made his landing more dangerous because of the extra weight.

However, the organisers had lifted the ban just minutes before the jump.

“Aikins’ leap represents the culmination of a 26-year career that will set a personal and world record for the highest jump without a parachute or wing suit,” his spokesman Justin Aclin said.

Mr Aikins, who is a safety and training adviser for the US Parachute Association, said his friend came with the idea two years ago.

 

Credit: BBC

Advertisements

Game Of Thrones To End After Season Eight In 2018

Game of Thrones – the record-breaking fantasy drama TV series – will end after its eighth season, American broadcaster HBO has confirmed.

HBO programming chief Casey Bloys made the announcement at the Television Critics Association’s conference.

The seventh season – made up of seven episodes instead of the usual 10 – is expected in summer next year, while the final season will be in 2018.

Game of Thrones is based on novels written by George R R Martin.

Now the programme has overtaken the source material, meaning producers are telling a story no-one has read before.

READ ALSO: EMMY AWARDS NOMINEES: GAME OF THRONES LEADS THE PACK

Speaking on Saturday in Beverly Hills, California, Mr Bloys said the number of episodes for the final season was yet to be determined.

“We’ll take as many as the (producers) will give us,” he said.

Mr Bloys did not rule out a spin-off, saying that “we’re open to it, (the producers) aren’t opposed to it, but there’s no concrete plans right now”.

Last year, Game of Thrones won a record 12 Emmy Awards for a series in a single year.

The series has picked up 23 nominations – another record – ahead of this year’s annual ceremony to be held in September.

 

 

NMA Declares Member Missing In Kwara

The Nigeria Medical Association (NMA), Kwara Chapter, has declared one of its members, Dr Abdulkareem Abdulrahman missing. Dr Victor Iroha, the Secretary of NMA in the state, announced this in a statement given to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN), in Ilorin on Saturday.

Iroha said Abdulraheem, a medical officer with Hospital Management Bureau, was posted to General Hospital in Omu- Aran. He said Abdulraheem had not been found since 6a.m. of Sunday July 24, 2016.

“Abdulraheem drove out of his residence opposite Federal Road Safety Commission Office, GRA in his Navy blue Toyota Corolla car with registration number BWR 532 RP and had not been seen since then. “His phone has also been unreachable and there has been no trace of either him or his car”, he added in the -statement.

Iroha also stated that all search efforts had so far yielded no results. He said the matter had been reported to the Police and allied security agencies.

The NMA appealed to people with useful information contact the nearest Police station or his brother Ridwan on 08110709470 or NMA Kwara PRO 08034086152.

 

Credit: Vanguard

Henry, Charles Okah, Nnamdi Kanu may be freed as MEND, FG strike deal to end N-Delta crisis

The Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (MEND) and the Federal Government currently engaged in a dialogue through the oil companies and security agencies have reached far-reaching compromises, including the release of former militant leader, Henry Okah, in prison in South Africa and Charles Okah, incarcerated in Nigeria.

They also agreed that ex-militant leader, Government Ekpemupolo , alias Tompolo, would not be harassed by government if he makes himself available as a delegate on MEND Aaron Team 2, while the leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB, Nnamdi Kanu, would be released on condition that he renounces the agitation for “Biafra Republic.”

MEND in a statement by spokesperson, Jomo Gbomo, today (Saturday) announced other breakthroughs in the discussions that will end the revolt in the South-South and South East regions in a jiffy. However, it said the recalcitrant Niger Delta Avengers, NDA, still has opportunity to embrace peace failing which a combination of military forces and volunteers in the region, would smoke them out.

The statement read: “The Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (MEND) is the only militant group from the Niger Delta region who are presently engaged in a dialogue with the Federal Government of Nigeria – through oil companies and security agencies -with a view to resolving the current Niger Delta crisis.” “Thus far, the deliberations have been fruitful, various concessions and guarantees have already been secured.

Some of which include, but are not limited to: Release of Henry Okah, Charles Okah and Obi Nwabueze; Review of the life sentence handed to Mr. Edmund Ebiware based on a proposal put forward by the Aaron Team representative for Abia and Imo states, Senator Adolphus Wabara. “Also, conditional release of IPOB leader, Mr. Nnamdi Kanu and others if they renounce their agitation for a “Biafra Republic,” the group said.

Furthermore, MEND said they agreed: “That Mr. Government Ekpemupolo shall not be arrested, harassed and/or intimidated whenever he makes himself available as a delegate of the MEND Aaron Team.”

It added: “That international arbitrator and conflict negotiator, American Dr. Judith Asuni shall be accepted as the representative of the Niger Delta Avengers (NDA) on the MEND Aaron Team; that the criminal charges against Urhobo freedom fighter, Mr. Kelvin Prosper Oniarah shall be reviewed. “That the life sentence which was handed to seven soldiers in 2008, who actively supported the Niger Delta struggle be reviewed under the Presidential Amnesty Programme.

The affected persons are: Suleiman Alabi Akubo, Major. Mathias Peter, SGT, Alexander Davou, L.Cpl., Moses Nwaigwe, L.Cpl., Nnandi Anene, L.Cpl. Taatihi Emmanuel, L.Cpl and Caleb Bawa, PTE,” it said. . “However, one of the most immediate and urgent fallout of the ongoing dialogue is the imperative for the Federal Government and MEND to jointly and separately take proactive steps to rescue and secure the region. This is in the event that the recalcitrant Niger Delta Avengers (NDA) continuing on its senseless and politically-motivated path of attacks on the country’s oil assets,” it noted.

MEND asserted: “To this end, both parties agreed that the Special Forces of the Nigerian Army should commence the purely routine but strategic military exercise code-named “Operation Crocodile Tears”; while MEND would commence a meet-the Government-Actors-and-People tour of the Niger Delta region code-named “Operation Moses”.

 

Credit: Vanguard

Blac Chyna Shows Off Her Baby Bump in Body-Con Velvet Dress

The 28-year-old model was spotted in a skin-tight beige velvet dress and despite breakup rumors with fiancé Robert Kardashian, Chyna also sported her massive engagement ring. Check out the flip flops, or as we call them in Nigeria, “Bathroom slippers”.

Chyna has had a complicated history with the Kardashians, but all seemed well for the couple when they got engaged in April. Shortly after announcing their engagement, the couple also revealed they were expecting a baby together back in May.

This is the first baby for the couple and Chyna’s second child. She shares son King Cairo Stevenson, 3, with her ex-fiancé, Tyga, who is now dating Rob’s younger sister, Kylie Jenner.

Constance Wu Criticizes Matt Damon’s Upcoming Film Great Wall For Perpetuating ‘Racist Myth’

Constance Wu has added her voice to those calling for greater diversity in Hollywood.

In a lengthy tweet posted on Friday, the Fresh Off the Boat actress criticized upcoming film The Great Wall, which stars Matt Damon .

The English-language film, which is directed by acclaimed Chinese director Zhang Yimou, is set in the Northern Song Dynasty (959 – 1126) and is about the mysteries surrounding the famous Great Wall. Damon plays a soldier in the movie.

“We have to stop perpetuating the racist myth that a only white man can save the world. It’s not based in actual fact,” she wrote. “Our heroes don’t look like Matt Damon. They look like Malala. Ghandi. Mandela. Your big sister when she stood up for you to those bullies that one time.”

Wu, 34, then challenged all of Hollywood to stop making excuses for the lack of representation of non-white actors.

“Money is the lamest excuse in the history of being human. So is blaming the Chinese investors,” she wrote. “Remember it’s not about blaming individuals … it’s about pointing out the repeatedly implied racist notion that white people are superior to POC and that POC need salvation from our own color via white strength.”

She continued: “We don’t need salvation. We like our color and our culture and our own strengths and our own stories … we don’t need you to save us from anything.”

Can we all at least agree that hero-bias & “but it’s really hard to finance” are no longer excuses for racism? TRY pic.twitter.com/mvNet5PrtH
— Constance Wu (@ConstanceWu) July 29, 2016

The Taiwanese-American actress also spoke about why she finds it so important to strive for diversity in Hollywood.

“I know there are lotsa POC who honestly don’t care. Who think I’M being crazy. Well excuse me for caring about the images that little girls see, and what that implies to them about their limitations or possibilities,” she wrote.

“If you know a kid, you should care too. Because we WERE those kids. Why do you think it was so nice to see a nerdy white kid have a girl fall in love with him? Because you WERE that nerdy white kid who felt unloved.”

Wu finished: “Seeing pictures of it in Hollywood’s stories made it feel possible. That’s why it moved you, that’s why it was a great story. Hollywood is supposed to be about making great stories. So make them.”

The Great Wall will be released in February 2017.

Credit: People.Com

Wow! US Govt Donates Six Laptops To EFCC

In an odd twist, the United States Government, today donated six Laptop computers to the EFCC during a courtesy visit to the Commission’s Headquarters in Abuja. The Director, Bureau of International Narcotics and Law Enforcement Affairs, USA, Roselyn Wiase, who led the six man delegation urged the Commission to continue in its vigorous fight against Corruption.

If the US spy movies I have taught me anything, I dare say those computers are most likely bugged! If Edward Snowden’s statements are anything to go by, then there is the distinct possibility that those laptops might somehow be transmitting information straight to the Pentagon as soon as they are turned on! Beware of freebies from the US.

In my opinion, nice try US. We have all seen Mission Impossible and from the look on Magu’s face in the picture below, he is busy saying to himself, “Ewwu, Una think say una get sense, we know every” lol

LAPTOPS2